Brochure Type: Eastern Mediterranean 2020
Take a leisurely jaunt through Turkey to visit the extraordinary excavations at Ephesus, the underground city of Sarhatli on the ancient Silk Road and Istanbul's bustling city markets.
- SIGHTSEEING TOUR with a Local Specialist in Istanbul
- VISIT the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Anzac Cove and the War Cemeteries at Gallipoli, the ancient ruins of Troy, the Asclepion Medical Centre at Pergamon, the ancient city at Ephesus, the Cotton Castle Springs in Pamukkale, the Archaeological Museum in Antalya, the home of the Whirling Dervishes at Konya, the underground city of Saratli, Goreme Open Air Museum and the Museum of Anatolian Civilisation at Ankara
- VIEW the Wooden Horse at Troy
- 13 breakfasts
- 1 lunch (Be My Guest)
- 10 dinners
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Ferry across the Dardanelles from Eceabat to Canakkale.
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Optional Experiences and free time
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Handcrafted Highlights
- VIP entry to many sights
Call (831) 426-4900 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14623719
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 12/31/2019
- 14 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Istanbul||Arrive Istanbul (2 Nights): Stand at the ancient crossroads between Europe and Asia, embarking on a journey of discovery through ancient lands and the marauding empires who fought to rule it. Arriving in vibrant Istanbul, you will be transferred to your hotel before joining your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a memorable Welcome Reception to kick off your epic adventure.|
Radisson Blu Sisli
|Day 2||Istanbul||Istanbul Sightseeing and Free Time: Spend your day delving into a city where modern and ancient coexist effortlessly. Gain insights into the Ottoman Empire's power during your guided tour of the Topkapi Palace and see the 4th-century Egyptian obelisk. Visit Hagia Sophia, the Hippodrome and the exquisite Blue Mosque, said to rival even the Great Mosque in Mecca. 'Dive Into Culture' this afternoon, with a visit to the Grand Bazaar. Spend your afternoon haggling with passionate market vendors lining its labyrinthine lanes. This evening, consider an optional dinner with Turkish folk and belly dancing.|
|Day 3||Canakkale||Istanbul - Gallipoli - Canakkale: Pay tribute to the brave souls who lost their lives at Gallipoli - the national pride of two nations, the Turkish and Australians, were awakened at the site of the bloody WWI battlefields and are commemorated to this day. See Anzac Cove and the Dardanelles, and visit the cemeteries of Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair, the final resting place of many Allied soldiers. We continue to Çanakkale where we dine at our hotel tonight.|
|Day 4||Izmir||Canakkale - Troy - Pergamon - Izmir (2 Nights): Explore the legends of Troy and see the symbolic replica of the famous Wooden Horse the Greeks used to break their siege of this ancient city. Visit the ancient Asclepion Medical Centre in the city of Pergamon before retiring in seaside Izmir this evening where we'll dine at our hotel.|
|Day 5||Excursion to Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary||Excursion to Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary: Stroll through the ruins of the ancient Greek city of Ephesus, past the amazingly intact facade of the Library of Celcus and down to what was once its thriving port. See the House of Virgin Mary at Mt. Koressos then spend the rest of the day at leisure. This evening you may consider joining an optional dinner at a local restaurant in Izmir and indulge in some of the local raki.|
|Day 6||Pamukkale||Izmir - Pamukkale Free Time: Leave the coastal city of Izmir behind as you journey inland to Pamukkale. Relax and enjoy the blissful thermal pools at your hotel before dinner.|
|Day 7||Antalya||Pamukkale - Hieropolis - Antalya (2 Nights): Tread in the footsteps of the ancients who sought relief and relaxation at the Roman health spa at Hieropolis, then admire the bubbling pools and delicate white cascades of water of Pamukkale's Cotton Castle Springs. Later, we travel through scenic countryside and join the Yazir community in the Taurus Mountains, where we'll 'Connect With Locals' and gain insights into their traditions at our 'Be My Guest' lunch. Our stop for the next two nights is the Mediterranean retreat of Antalya. Enjoy some time on your own ambling through the winding lanes of its old city and admiring beautifully preserved Ottoman architecture. This evening, join your companions for a rousing Regional Dinner at a local restaurant.|
|Day 8||Perge||Perge Excursion: Enjoy a morning on your terms to soak up the enchanting seaside atmosphere of the Turkish Riviera, embarking on an optional yacht cruise or relaxing at the hotel pool. This afternoon, we travel to the Roman city of Perge to visit the impressive Antalya Archaeological Museum and see treasures spanning the centuries. Your evening is free to find an inviting meyhane for some local chit chat and delicious flavours of kebab and baklava.|
|Day 9||Konya||Antalya - Aspendos - Konya: Witness the world's best-preserved theatre of antiquity during your first stop in Aspendos this morning, before continuing to Konya, where we will gain insights into the mystical Whirling Dervish sect whose remains lie in the Mevlana Museum and Mausoleum. We continue to the Karatay Tile Museum, spellbound by its exquisitely Seljuk-tiled dome, before returning to our hotel where we'll dine tonight.|
|Day 10||Cappadocia||Konya - Cappadocia (2 Nights): See a well-preserved 13th-century caravanserai, at which weary travellers used to rest. We journey to Cappadocia with its honey-coloured rocky spires providing an enchanting backdrop for our visit to the underground city of Sarhatli on the ancient Silk Road. This evening, indulge in the flavours of traditional pottery kebabs during a Regional Dinner at a local restaurant, before retiring to your hotel with beautiful views of the surrounding fairy chimneys.? Tonight we stay in one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories' located alongside the ancient Ortahisar rock castle.|
|Day 11||Goreme||Goreme Excursion: The other-worldly landscapes of Cappadocia take centre stage today as we explore its volcanic landscape dotted with caves and troglodyte dwellings. We visit the Goreme Open-Air Museum to admire the extraordinary rock-hewn churches and learn about the art of pottery making in Avanos before dining in our hotel this evening.?|
|Day 12||Ankara||Cappadocia - Ankara: Arriving in the youthful capital of Turkey today, we visit the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations and the final resting place of the country's beloved Ataturk, the first president of the modern Turkish nation. This evening we dine at our hotel in Ankara.|
|Day 13||Istanbul||Ankara - Istanbul Free Time: Returning to Istanbul, we enjoy the rest of the day on our own. Delve into the depths of the Basilica Cistern, savour the intoxicating smells of the Spice Market or ascend Galata Tower for exquisite views of east and west. Consider an optional cruise navigating the waters of the Bosphorus before meeting your Travel Director and fellow companions for a memorable Farewell Dinner.|
Radisson Blu Sisli
|Day 14||Istanbul||Depart Istanbul: Our epic journey into antiquity has come to an end as we bid Istanbul and newfound friends a fond farewell. Transfers are available. Conditions apply.?|
- Special Rate Solo Rooming: Departures 07 June, 09 August and 18 October will include 20 - 100% discount on our standard single supplement. Please see trafalgar.com for pricing.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class