Brochure Type: TT & BV Europe Summer 2023 v2
Want the full Italian Experience? Explore the Vatican like a VIP, cruise Cinque Terre's rugged coastline, get lost in San Gimignano's quaint centre and discover the art of glassblowing in Venice. From Rome to Lucca and Bologna, the Wonders of Italy come alive over a glass of Tuscan Chianti.
- VIP Admission to the Vatican Museums
- Explore Rome, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Florence and Assisi with a Local Specialist
- Discover Pisa, San Gimignano, Verona and Venice
- Visit St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum in Rome, a glassblowing factory in Venice, the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi and Villa d'Este Gardens in Tivoli
- View the ancient sites of Rome, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Santa Croce Basilica and Duomo in Florence, Juliet's Balcony in Verona, St. Mark's Basilica in Venice and the Kissing Towers of Bologna
- See the marble quarries of Carrara
- Scenic Cruise to Cinque Terre and by private launch to St. Mark's Square in Venice
- Rome: During an orientation with your Travel Director see the medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches scattered throughout the city.
- Rome: Experience Rome through the eyes of a local, as a passionate Roman guides you past the city's most iconic sites.
- Rome: Visit the Colosseum, still echoing with the thronging crowds and ghostly cries of gladiatorial combat.
- Lucca: Your orientation with your Travel Director will show you the churches, squares and palaces within the medieval ramparts.
- Cinque Terre: Led by your Local Specialist, visit this unique UNESCO World Heritage Site, tucked away on the mountainous Italian Riviera coastline. Admire the charming fishing villages and perhaps snap some memorable pictures.
- Pisa: During an orientation, your Travel Director will show you the baptistery, cathedral and the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- San Gimignano: Visit the medieval Manhattan of Italy as you explore the UNESCO-listed centre of San Gimignano and admire the city's distinctive towers.
- Florence: Join a Local Specialist to view the multi-coloured marble cathedral, bell tower and baptistery, adorned by Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise. Visit the political heart of the city, Signoria Square.
- Verona: During an exploration of Verona, see the well-preserved Roman Arena and Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: Discover Venice with a Local Specialist. The construction of this fascinating city started in the 5th century after the fall of the Roman Empire. Also known as 'The City of Canals', Venice is one of Italy's most picturesque and intriguing destinations, with a beautiful surprise around every corner.
- Bologna: View Bologna's famed Kissing Towers and enjoy some time at leisure in this historic university city.
- Assisi: With a Local Specialist, find out why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered to be one of the crowning artisitic achievements of 13th-century Europe.
- Tivoli: Join a Local Specialist on a sightseeing tour of Tivoli and the gardens of Villa d'Este.
- Rome: Be inspired by the magnificence of Michelangelo and da Vinci at the Vatican Museums and enjoy an exclusive visit up the spiral staircase designed by the famous architect Donato Bramante in a part of the Vatican not open to the public.
- Florence: The Lenzi family invites you to join them for a Be My Guest lunch and a Chianti and olive oil tasting on their Tuscan wine farm which is located on the ancient road between Siena and Florence.
- Venice: Learn about the history and ancient skill of Venetian glassblowing, playing your role in ensuring the survival of this traditional craft through your visit.
- Assisi: Built to welcome pilgrims visiting Assisi, Hotel Cenacolo is a fully renovated old Franciscan monastery in nearby Santa Maria degli Angeli.
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (831) 426-4900 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16973744
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 12/31/2022
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Rome||Buongiorno Rome: Benvenuti a Roma! Open your heart to a whirlwind of fiery passion, antiquities and hearty flavours crafted by Italian mammas over centuries. Enjoy a leisurely first encounter with the 'Eternal City' before joining your travel companions and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception and orientation drive to see the bustling cityscape.|
|Day 2||Rome||Discover Ancient Rome and the Vatican City Dive Into Culture: Dive Into Culture on an included sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist at the Vatican Museums. Admire the works of great masters - the Bramante Staircase, magnificent frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel and the sorrowful Pieta inside St. Peter's Basilica. In Ancient Rome, we pay tribute to the brave gladiators who fought for supremacy at the Colosseum during our included visit. We'll see the Circus Maximus where chariots thundered to the applause of thousands before a free afternoon.|
|Day 3||Lucca||Journey to Lucca: We travel north to Lucca for a sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist to admire the 14th-century San Martino Cathedral and Piazza dell'Anfiteatro, built on the site of an ancient Roman arena. Relax in Piazza San Michele or ascend one of the city's ancient towers for panoramic views in your free time.|
Best Western Grand Guinigi
|Day 4||Cinque Terre and Pisa||Explore Cinque Terre and Pisa: A sea of pastel pinks, yellows and blues cling dramatically to the Ligurian cliffs in the Cinque Terre UNESCO World Heritage Site, which we will have an opportunity to explore today on our included excursion. Join a Local Specialist and delve into daily life in these picturesque fishing villages. Stop in Pisa and visit its UNESCO-listed Square of Miracles to view the architectural feat that is the Leaning Tower.|
Best Western Grand Guinigi
|Day 5||Florence||Onwards to San Gimignano and Florence Connect with Locals: The gentle Tuscan landscape gives way to our next destination, the hilltop town of San Gimignano, famed for its stunning medieval architecture and historic towers, which stand today as a testament to the wealth and power of aristocratic families who lived here centuries ago. We Connect With Locals at a Be My Guest experience in a beautiful family-owned vineyard overlooking the rolling Chianti Hills. You will join the Lenzi family for lunch and wine and olive oil tasting on their farm located on the ancient road between Siena and Florence. Later arrive in Florence for an evening at leisure.|
|Day 6||Florence||Uncover the Treasures of Florence: Discover Renaissance treasures, extraordinary art and exquisite architecture in one of the cultural capitals of the world. We join a Local Specialist who will bring the legacy of the influential Medici family to life. Walk along narrow lanes into expansive piazze, viewing the magnificent marble Duomo and a replica of the David statue in Piazza della Signoria. View the Ponte Vecchio, almost 700 years old, and admire spectacular panorama from Piazzale Michelangelo. You'll also learn about the quality and workmanship of two of this city's historic industries at demonstrations of Florentine leathercraft and 18-carat gold. The rest of the day is yours to explore the 'Cradle of the Renaissance'. Visit the masterpieces of Michelangelo, wander through the architectural wonder of Palazzo Pitti or shop for high-quality leather and gold.|
|Day 7||Venice||Admire Verona and on to Venice: Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers are remembered today during our jaunt to the romantic city of Verona where we will view Juliet's Balcony and the 1st-century Roman arena, still used today to host spectacular operatic performances. We venture to Venice next, spending the rest of the afternoon exploring the city's labyrinthine calli on our own in search of hidden treasures. Wander along the Grand Canal, watch the sun set over the Venetian lagoon Square or join an Optional Experience.|
Le Boulevard Lido
|Day 8||Venice||Discover the Floating City Make Travel Matter: On this morning's MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience, we'll witness the centuries-old tradition of Venetian glassblowing that has been passed down from generation to generation. You may wish to buy a souvenir to remind you of the talent and skill of the master craftsmen who delight in sharing with visitors how they're preserving this local craft. You'll see St. Mark's Basilica, the ornate Doge's Palace and the Bridge of Sighs next, imagining how prisoners felt when they gazed over Venice for the very last time before being imprisoned. Cruise by private launch to see the city's most iconic attractions before enjoying free time to explore the city on your terms. Wander through alleys, over ornate bridges and into quiet campi as you indulge your inner explorer and get lost in this enchanting city on water.|
Le Boulevard Lido
|Day 9||Bologna and Assisi||Off to Bologna and Assisi Stays With Stories: Travel through scenic countryside to the mystical town of Assisi, stopping en route in the city of Bologna to view its Kissing Towers that lean towards one another, seemingly poised to embrace. We continue to our hotel in Assisi, where we'll stay at one of Trafalgar's Stays With Stories - a fully renovated old Franciscan monastery.|
|Day 10||Rome||All Roads Lead to Tivoli and Rome: Discover the legacy of St. Francis of Assisi in his home town on the slopes of Mount Subasio. Join our Local Specialist for a visit to the Basilica of St. Francis, renowned for its beautiful frescoes depicting the life of this beloved saint. We continue to Tivoli for a guided visit with a Local Specialist of the UNESCO-listed terraced hillside Renaissance gardens of Villa d'Este. Wander past bubbling fountains, manicured hedges and ornate statues as you soak up the tranquil atmosphere of this historic hill town. This evening we enjoy a special Farewell Dinner with our fellow travellers and Travel Director.|
Barcelo Aran Mantegna
|Day 11||Rome||Farewell Rome: It's time to say a fond arrivederci to Italy and our newfound friends after a memorable journey. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
- Twin prices are per person.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class